javaDAW 4.6.1 (build 1-11-2014) is available.
javaDAW for Windows XP, 7 and 8: JavaDAW can be installed on a Windows machine. Just place the exe file from the rar in a directory on your computer. Place the jvsthost32 and 64 dll in the the same folder. Just double click the exe to start javaDAW. Place the resource files in the resource directory after downloading. JavaDaw creates a javadaw home in your HOME directory with a Projects, Export and Resource sub directory.
javaDAW for MAC: JavaDAW can be installed on a MAC. Just place the app from the zip in the application directory on the MAC. Place the jvsthost2.jnilib (in the rar file) in the /System/Library/Java/Extensions directory or in the /Library/Java/Extensions directory. Just double click the app to start javaDAW. Place the resource files in the Resource directory after downloading.
javaDAW for Linux: JavaDAW can be installed on a Linux machine. Just place the javadaw.jar on the desktop. Place the libjvsthost2.so (in the rar file) in the /usr/lib/ directory. Start the jar file with java -jar javdaw.jar from the install directory. You can also make a shell script. With Linux (Ubuntu) javaDaw uses JACK. There are however problems with JACK on Linux (Ubuntu No Sound) so this was not tested intensively.
Performance: JavaDAW is constantly tested with different audio systems. Also stop windows services (type services.msc in commandbox) "Windows Search" and "Windows Update". See optimising-your-pc-for-audio-on-windows-7 JavaDAW looks best under Windows 7/8 Basic theme but performs best under Windows Classic (XP look & feel)
License: This product is licensed for free use to everybody who wants to try out this DAW. It is not(!) allowed to use this DAW or any code fragment in commercial applications without permission of the owner (see mail adress). javaDAW will be put under GPL license soon.
Disclaimer: JavaDAW is ment to be used as a FUN(!) java project and is safe to use. JavaDaw is delivered "as is" without any guarantee. Therefore the author will not take any responsibility for any mischief or error. JavaDaw is just a plain "Swing" java fun project and should be used as such.
New release : javaDaw can be run as a 32 bit application or as a 64 bit application, depending on the JRE installed.
The 64 bit version may use a 1-2 GByte heap. Of the jasiohost and jvsthost dll's are 64 bit versions available.
The jvsthost2.jnilib is always for 64 bit.
Most VST plugins come with a 64 bit version also. The dll' s should be placed in the root of javaDAW. A JVM (32 or 64 or both) should be installed. Download the 32 bit JRE and the 64 bit JRE here .
What is new in 4.6.1
- 32 bit and 64 bit version of javaDaw are available for Windows7/8 and only 64 bit for MACOSX (download the javadawexe.rar or javadawapp.zip).
- A complete new user interface has been designed for javaDAW.
Getting started with javaDAW.
- Download the files and put the 2 dll' s in the root of the folder (Windows only).
- Download the files and put the jnilib in the java extension folders (MAC only).
- The application will check if ASIO and dll' s are available.
- Instead of ASIO you may use the java sound or JACK sound engine (MAC only).
- Put the directories in the resources.rar under /$user/javadaw/Resources.
- If you don' t have ASIO, download ASIO4ALL (this is a free ASIO driver that works fine with your native audio card).
- If you don' t have JACK, download JACK for MAC and install.
- On Linux, JACK is already installed.
- Start javaDAW by double clicking the .exe or the app.
- The .exe file runs within a heap of 1024 MByte (this can be adjusted with jsmooth).
- With the .jar file use -Xmx512m parameter or -Xmx1024 as parameter for heap size.
- Create under Windows 7 or 8 a VSTPlugin directory by hand which should normally be under ../Program Files (x86)/Steinberg/VstPlugins.
- Under XP, it will be created for you if not present. Under W7 you have to create it yourself.
- On the MAC, javaDAW uses the standard plugin directory /System/Library/Audio/Plugins. It will NOT be created.
- Choose a VST directory (menu) and scan the plugin directory (see menu or plugin panel on the left).
- Watch the Youtube videos.
Other audio applications: If you need adjustments of javaDAW 4 or if you need other audio applications, just e-mail me. It is possible to develop any(!) audio application in java. Think about DJ apps, recorder apps or midi manipulation apps. Just write to the e-mail adress below with your ideas.
HAVE FUN !!!